Skip to main content

Record rainfall leaves over 120 dead in western Europe, devastating parts of Germany

 


Catastrophic flooding in western Europe has killed more than 120 people, with hundreds more missing, authorities said Friday, as large-scale rescue efforts continue amidst rising water, landslides, and power outages.

Shocking images of the devastation in Germany and Belgium showed entire villages underwater, with cars wedged in between collapsed buildings and debris. The Netherlands and Luxembourg have also been affected by extreme rainfall.
In Germany, at least 105 people have been killed across two western states. In the hard-hit district of Ahrweiler, in the state of Rhineland-Palatinate, authorities told CNN that 1,300 people remained unaccounted for.
"There is no end in sight just yet," Ulrich Sopart, a police spokesman in the city of Koblenz, told CNN. He said that authorities are hopeful that they will be able to revise down the number of missing people as the rescue operation continues and phone lines are restored.
    ''Our hopes are that some people might have been registered as missing twice or even three times -- if for example a family member, a work colleague or a friend has registered a person as missing," Sopart said.
    ''Also, [in] some places phone lines are still down and reception is difficult. We do hope that people will get in touch with a relative, work colleague or friend to let them know they are fine," he said.
    At least 165,000 people are currently without power in Rhineland-Palatinate and the neighboring state of North Rhine-Westphalia, authorities told CNN.
    In North Rhine-Westphalia, where at least 43 people have died, the state's Interior Ministry spokeswoman Katja Heins told CNN: ''The situation remains very dynamic -- we do not know how many people are unaccounted for."
    The death toll in Rhineland-Palatinate has risen to at least 62, according to police, who said on Friday that at least 362 people have been injured. The state premier, Malu Dreyer said on Friday that every hour brought bad news. "It is to be feared that the number will rise even further, '' Dreyer said at a news conference, adding: ''We have not yet reached the stage where we can say that situation is easing."
    As rescue efforts continued on Friday, more tragic scenes came to light.
    At least nine people at a disabled care facility drowned after being caught in floodwaters. The facility, located in the town of Sinzig, in the Ahrweiler district, became so quickly inundated that the residents -- who had been sleeping -- were unable to escape, despite efforts by caretakers to bring them to safety, according to CNN affiliate NTV.
    Source:cnn.com

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    UN Special Rapporteurs urge Ghana to withdraw the anti-LGBTI Bill.

      UN human rights experts urged Ghana’s Government to reject a proposed ‘family values’ bill, saying it seeks to establish a system of State-sponsored discrimination and violence against the LGBTI community. The bill’s first reading took place on August 2, 2021, and its consideration is expected to resume in October 2021.   “The draft legislation argues that any person who deviates from an arbitrary standard of sexual orientation or gender identity is immediate to be considered dangerous, sick or anti-social,” said the experts. “Such laws are a textbook example of discrimination.  “The proposed law promotes deeply harmful practices that amount to ill-treatment and are conducive to torture, such as so-called ‘conversion therapy’ and other heinous violations like unnecessary medical procedures on intersex children, and so-called corrective rape for women,” they added.  The independent experts, appointed by the Human Rights Council, presented an analysis of the dra...

    Full Statement : Corruption Watch, others Assesses Amidu's Works as OSP after one year

    Martin Amidu, Special Prosecutor Director for Advocacy and Policy Engagement, CDD-Ghana, Dr. Kojo Pumpuni Asante on behalf of Corruption Watch, the CSO Coalition on the OSP and ADISS, on Monday 13th May 2019 at a Roundtable Discussion at Coconut Groove Hotel in Accra, presented an assessment of the Office of the Special Prosecutor led by Mr Martin A B K Amidu, after one year in office. It would be recalled that during the 2016 election campaign, then candidate Nana Akufo-Addo promised to create an office for Special Prosecutor to aid the work of the Attorney General and Minister of Justice in the fight against corruption if elected.   And true to his promise, on January 11 2018, the president announced popular anti-graft campaigner, Martin Amidu as the first ever Special Prosecutor. The announcement was greeted by excitement from most Ghanaians due to the vigorous nature Amidu fought against his party (the NDC) in the infamous judgement debt paid to busines...

    Dogboe takes time off boxing

    Isaac Dogboe Isaac Dogboe's journey in the pugilistic sport is far from over, even though he is to take a lengthy break. The 24-year-old will remain in the sport but will take time off and resume his university education, he has exclusively confirmed to Joy Sports. The former world champion gained admission to the Penster University last year but had deferred studies due to the demands of his boxing career. This decision to return to school comes after a one-on-one meeting with his father, Paul, who led his corner on the night of his humiliating loss to WBO super bantamweight champion, Emmanuel Navarette. "I am good and glad I was not injured. It's rather unfortunate I couldn't win the bout and I guess sometimes these things happen. I am grateful to all for the massive support for this bout,” he told Joy Sports in Arizona. He mentions that he will take time off to get himself back into school, and re-strategize to make a return to the ...