Skip to main content

CETAG, government agree on roadmap to address allowances, market premium issues

File Photo
The College of Education Teachers Association of Ghana (CETAG) and government have agreed on a roadmap to resolve the grievances of the teacher association.

Last year, members of CETAG embarked on a one-month strike that led to the closure of Colleges of Education, due to the non-payment of their Interim Market Premium and Book and Research allowance.


Speaking to Citi News on the latest roadmap, the National Secretary for CETAG, Nathan Ohene-Gyan said their members will not countenance any disappointment on the part of government.


He said, per the roadmap, the government has agreed to pay the book and research allowance in September 2019 while an agreed market premium with arrears will be paid between January and April 2020.


“We initially tabled some form of arrangement but government came in and said they were a bit challenged to go by what we were suggesting. We agreed on a few parameters although we are not completely happy about it, but, it is something we can hold on for the meantime as we move on.”



“On paper, we have an agreement over the book and research allowance we are paid at the end of every month so we are expecting to be sorted on that score. Measuring the temperament of our members on the ground, they are not even happy about this arrangement,” he added.


Early this year, CETAG met with the Fair Wages and Salaries Commission, and other relevant stakeholders for deliberations on outstanding issues.


It followed letters from the Ministry of Employment and Labour Relations, informing them that the National Council for Tertiary Education [NCTE], and the Fair Wages Salary Commission was to decide their concerns.


This was also after a directive by the National Labour Commission to resolve pending issues within a fourteen-day period which elapsed on 2nd January 2019.

 
Background
The Association in December 2018, accused government of breaching the terms of agreement it had with them on the payment of interim premium and book and research allowances.


The NCTE argued that CETAG did not have the right to declare a strike when negotiations were ongoing.


CETAG was also accused of being unreasonable and failing to show up for negotiations on the matter.


CETAG subsequently threatened to go to court to push for the closure of the colleges for the rest of the semester in line with the law governing the colleges, which states that colleges must be closed down and the semester annulled if academic work halts for more than three weeks.


 Source: citinewsroom.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UN Special Rapporteurs urge Ghana to withdraw the anti-LGBTI Bill.

  UN human rights experts urged Ghana’s Government to reject a proposed ‘family values’ bill, saying it seeks to establish a system of State-sponsored discrimination and violence against the LGBTI community. The bill’s first reading took place on August 2, 2021, and its consideration is expected to resume in October 2021.   “The draft legislation argues that any person who deviates from an arbitrary standard of sexual orientation or gender identity is immediate to be considered dangerous, sick or anti-social,” said the experts. “Such laws are a textbook example of discrimination.  “The proposed law promotes deeply harmful practices that amount to ill-treatment and are conducive to torture, such as so-called ‘conversion therapy’ and other heinous violations like unnecessary medical procedures on intersex children, and so-called corrective rape for women,” they added.  The independent experts, appointed by the Human Rights Council, presented an analysis of the dra...

Full Statement : Corruption Watch, others Assesses Amidu's Works as OSP after one year

Martin Amidu, Special Prosecutor Director for Advocacy and Policy Engagement, CDD-Ghana, Dr. Kojo Pumpuni Asante on behalf of Corruption Watch, the CSO Coalition on the OSP and ADISS, on Monday 13th May 2019 at a Roundtable Discussion at Coconut Groove Hotel in Accra, presented an assessment of the Office of the Special Prosecutor led by Mr Martin A B K Amidu, after one year in office. It would be recalled that during the 2016 election campaign, then candidate Nana Akufo-Addo promised to create an office for Special Prosecutor to aid the work of the Attorney General and Minister of Justice in the fight against corruption if elected.   And true to his promise, on January 11 2018, the president announced popular anti-graft campaigner, Martin Amidu as the first ever Special Prosecutor. The announcement was greeted by excitement from most Ghanaians due to the vigorous nature Amidu fought against his party (the NDC) in the infamous judgement debt paid to busines...

Dogboe takes time off boxing

Isaac Dogboe Isaac Dogboe's journey in the pugilistic sport is far from over, even though he is to take a lengthy break. The 24-year-old will remain in the sport but will take time off and resume his university education, he has exclusively confirmed to Joy Sports. The former world champion gained admission to the Penster University last year but had deferred studies due to the demands of his boxing career. This decision to return to school comes after a one-on-one meeting with his father, Paul, who led his corner on the night of his humiliating loss to WBO super bantamweight champion, Emmanuel Navarette. "I am good and glad I was not injured. It's rather unfortunate I couldn't win the bout and I guess sometimes these things happen. I am grateful to all for the massive support for this bout,” he told Joy Sports in Arizona. He mentions that he will take time off to get himself back into school, and re-strategize to make a return to the ...